“In fourteen hundred ninety-two
Columbus sailed the ocean blue.”
On October 12, 1492, explorer Christopher Columbus made the first recorded sighting of land in the New World. He had set sail from Spain more than two months earlier, and he claimed the new land for King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella of Spain, who sponsored his trip.
In 1937, Columbus Day became an official U.S. federal holiday – and now, in honor of Columbus Day 2017, you can discover a wealth of New World treasures celebrating Columbus and his discovery of America.
- 1892-1893 Columbian Exposition Half Dollar. As early as 1892, the United Sates Mint struck the first U.S. coin to recognize Christopher Columbus’s place in history. In fact, the 1892-1893 silver half dollar was the first commemorative coin in U.S. history. Issued in 90% silver to honor the World’s Columbian Exposition in Chicago that marked the 400th anniversary of Columbus’s discovery of the New World, it features a portrait of Columbus by Charles E. Barber (who also designed the Barber series of silver coins) – while the reverse showing Columbus’ Santa Maria flagship was designed by George T. Morgan, whose Morgan Silver Dollar is one of America’s most legendary coins. This coin has been out of issue for more than 120 years, and only a few remain!
- Columbus Half Dollar Commemorative Collection. One hundred years later in 1992, the U.S. Mint once again issued Columbus commemoratives – this time for the 500th anniversary, including a half dollar depicting Columbus on the obverse and his Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria ships on the reverse. This fabulous set includes both the 1892-1893 Columbus silver half dollar and the 1992 Columbus half dollar to create a stunning two-coin set.
- Columbus Quincentenary Proof Two Coin Set. In 1992, the U.S. Mint produced both a commemorative silver dollar and a commemorative half dollar to celebrate the 500th anniversary of Columbus’s discovery of the New World. This Proof Set includes both coins in the highest Proof quality, beautifully displayed in the original U.S. Mint packaging.
- America the Beautiful National Parks 5 Piece Quarter Set. America’s National Parks quarters celebrate the beauty and history that can be found across the nation – but each coin in this ongoing series is a limited edition of only about 10 weeks. In addition to Brilliant Uncirculated coins from the Philadelphia and Denver Mints, the five-coin set includes a colorized coin, a 24K gold plated coin, and a hologrammed coin – all displayed in a custom folder. Order them all for a complete collection!
- 2017 America the Beautiful Five Ounce Silver BU – Ellis Island. In addition to the standard coins for circulation, each America’s National Parks quarter is made in a giant five-ounce .999 fine silver edition – the largest and heaviest coin in U.S. Mint history. The 2017 Ellis Island coin is the newest coin in the series – but these coins quickly sell out due to exceptionally low mintages and strong demand, so it is essential to order immediately.